Plants have always been human being’s greatest friends. We cannot think of surviving without plants. The plants not only provide us with food but also medicine. The medicinal properties of the plants have paved the way for Ayurveda which is one of the safest treatments given to human beings. In ancient times, the people used to cure themselves and their family members by preparing medicines from the plants having that specific property to cure the diseases. Among innumerable herbal plants, the extract of Chamomile plant also helps to treat many ailments.
Chamomile is not unknown to the ancient world and is a member of the daisy family (Compositae/ Asteraceae) and its dried flowers contain terpenoids and flavonoids which enhance its medicinal properties. The hollow, bright gold cones of the flowers are packed with disc or tubular florets. They are available in two varieties viz. German Chamomile and Roman Chamomile. Its extract is used to prepare medicines that are used in curing human ailments. They are:
1. Inflammation: Inflammation caused in any part of the body for a longer period may cause hazardous health issues. It is indispensable to treat inflammation properly. Chamomile tea helps in reducing inflammation due to its chemical compounds and protects the body to become the victim of other health problems.
2. Insomnia: The accurate consumption of chamomile tea relaxes the body to get sound sleep. It contains apigenin, an antioxidant that induces sleep and removes tiredness instantly after its consumption.
3. Menstrual and gastrointestinal disorders: It has been observed that if chamomile tea is consumed for a longer period, it cures menstrual disorders among women and gives them relief in anxiety and distress during the menstrual cycle. Its effective antioxidant agents help in getting relief from gastrointestinal disorders.
4. Ulcers and wounds: Drinking Chamomile tea reduces acidity in the stomach and prevents the growth of ulcers. It promotes better digestion by decreasing the risk of gastrointestinal conditions. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it heals up wounds faster and protects against diarrhoea. Subsequently, it is very soothing to the stomach and provides comfort in acidity.
5. Treats diabetes by controlling blood sugar: It is a helpful supplement to reduce the glucose level in the blood. It is clinically tested that regular consumption of chamomile tea regulates the increased glucose level in the blood.
6. The other benefits of consuming chamomile tea are:
A. Improves skin health
B. Prevents bone loss
C. Protect against certain types of cancer viz. thyroid cancer, prostate and uterus
Chamomile extract is used in different ways to cure diseases but most commonly it is used in the form of tea. Its essential oil is also used in cosmetics and aromatherapy due to its nice fragrance. Its tea bags are also available which provide instant benefit to the consumers. The different parts of the plant are highly beneficial for health. Let’s dive deep into its benefits.
1. Chamomile Flowers: They are used to cure diarrhoea in children and to prevent and give relief in cramping. They are also effective in inflammation and congestive neuralgia. They are also used in relieving anxiety and work as a stress buster.
2. Chamomile whole plant: It is used for making herb beers and a lotion which can be used for external application in aching parts of the body. Its decoction can be used in gargling or washing the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat.
The benefits of Chamomile plant are tremendous. It can be used internally as well as externally. It has been benefiting people for ages and the ancestors were very well aware of its unimaginable productive uses. It is an anti-inflammatory, astringent, antioxidant and healing medicine that heals up the wound internally as well as externally. Traditionally, it has been used to treat numerous ailments viz. skin irritations, eczema, gout, ulcers, wounds, sores and pains. It is also applied externally to cure eye infections like conjunctivitis and blocked tear ducts, rashes on the skin, nasal and ears infections.
It is also used to treat gastrointestinal disturbances like indigestion, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, constipation and flatulence. It is immensely beneficial in joint pains, arthritis, back pain, cramps and bed sores.